Monday, August 22, 2011

Sailors/ servicemen salute Toe-In-The-Water Charity

The charity uses sailing to aid the rehabilitation of injured servicemen so its presence at the Cowes Race Week regatta, provided the perfect platform in which to promote its valuable work.  A total of 13 inter-servicemen competed at the regatta, including 10 crew aboard two J/80s – Big Toe and Little Toe, from the UKSA.  Because Toe in the Water is an extension of rehabilitation, the sailors who are competing here this week are under a strict regime, which means after they return on shore from racing they have to be taken straight to the trauma physiotherapist to complete their daily treatment.

To find out how Toe in the Water benefits injured servicemen and women, we spoke to 23-year old Private Chris Herbert. Herbert was originally from Barnsley and served in the First Battalion Yorkshire Regiment but when he was 19 years old he lost his leg while serving in Iraq.

When he joined Toe in the Water as a patient during Aberdeen Asset Cowes Week in 2008, he’d never been on a boat before. Three years on, he is now a full time able-bodied volunteer, with a Yachtmaster certificate under his belt. “Sailing, through Toe in the Water, gave me back my life. When I lost my leg, I was young, angry and didn’t know where my life was taking me. I was psychologically lost and physically weak. I joined Toe in the Water and I was put on the winch to improve my core stability. I was also part of a team again, which was very important to me. Sailing helped me in every aspect of my recovery and I am now competitive racing sailor.”

Herbert is heading off to Portsmouth University in September and aims to combine his studies with sailing, and learn about the business/marketing side of the industry. Before then however, he’ll be taking part in the Rolex Fastnet Race,

Toe in the Water also had a big presence on shore with all sorts of exciting social events taking place throughout the week. One of the biggest, and most popular was the Wednesday night "Indian Curry Night" where The Queen's Own Gurkha Logistics Regiment did the cooking, and Gurkha pipers and drummers entertained the crowds. br />