Sunday, June 3, 2018

J/70 Stars on Fox & Friends TV!

J/70 getmyboat.com at Fox News New York (New York, NY)- The Chesapeake Bay J/70 GETMYBOAT.com was invited to Times Square as part of a “summer highlights” special with Fox News’s FOX & FRIENDS show in the early morning!  Here is the story by the owner of the J/70 GETMYBOAT.com- Don DeLoatch:

“A welcome two-week break from racing sent my wife Molly and me to a quiet cabin in rural Virginia with our dogs. With spotty cell service, I did catch a call from our friends at GETMYBOAT.com asking if the Vortex crew could get our J/70 named GETMYBOAT.com to Fox Studios in New York city next week for a promotional spot on summer activities to include sailing on the popular Fox & Friends show airing on May 13th.

I must admit my mind raced to the memory of Michael Douglas in the movie “Romancing the Stone”- a blockbuster movie (1984), pulling his sailboat down the streets of Manhattan to end the movie and get the girl. In my mind, I knew this had to happen so I put out feelers to the crew, Ryan Kozoriz our team manager was quick to volunteer for this wild and unforgettable experience. My wife had grown up outside of New York in a town called Mountain Lakes, and we had spent some time in the city over the years. As a southern boy, I was always impressed by the sheer volume of everything New York.

J/70 GetMyBoat.com on Fox News- Fox & Friends morning showAs manager of the Vortex team, we know and use the GETMYBOAT app and thought this promotion would be helpful to many Bay sailors and powerboaters who may want to use the app as we have. I mentioned the quiet cabin I stayed at, this cabin was on the banks of a large lake, and I found a kayak rental on the GetMyBoat app, incredibly it was that easy. Several years back, our team planned to race the Rolex Big Boat in San Francisco on our J/105. This trip was at least a year in the making, and in our planning we found a J/105 charter available through the GETMYBOAT app that saved our team two-thirds the transportation cost and a considerable amount of time to pack and ready our boat, saving many man days of work.

GETMYBOAT has helped our team get to many far off experiences, but driving through Times Square with our race boat was not expected. Somewhere on 49th street a cabbie pulled up revved his engine and asked, “where’s the start area?”

Many eyes turned to gaze at the sparkling clean and sexy racer sliding down the busy streets of Manhattan. I was issued a parking permit in advance from the New York City Mayor’s office so I felt like a VIP. At Fox Studios, they treated us like VIPs. Fox Studios had a crew ready to help us move the boat onto the set. Also on the set, a fantastic Airstream camper and a vacation photographer who specializes in documenting your vacation for you-- no more selfies!

All in all, it was a great experience for Ryan and me to share our love of sailing with a national audience in a way that may help some people get on the water more often. The Fox people knew a little about race boats, and I think they did an excellent job with the piece and several teasers featuring our J/70. I have also learned that GETMYBOAT was pleased and saw an increase in activity on the site.

I think sailing is a great motivator to get off the couch, meet people, and maybe take your friends on a wild ride like we have been enjoying. Get out and sail; it will make a difference in you!” Thanks to Spinsheet.com and Don Deloach for the story. Add to Flipboard Magazine.