Saturday, August 19, 2017

Sanford Comments on Transpac J/105 Experience

J/105s sailing San Diego(Honolulu, Hawaii)- Ed Sanford’s J/105 CREATIVE sailed this year’s Transpac Race- 2,225nm of full-on downwind racing for most of the time.

Ed & Team Creative have sailed over 10,000 miles offshore, and we believe are the first J/105 to reach the Transpac podium and the first to do three Transpac races in a J/105.  Bravo!

Here is what Ed had to say about their experience:

“I have had a interesting progression in life!

In 2013, my wife’s response regarding Transpac was, “I vote no.”

In 2015, my wife’s response this time was, “so, when are you going?”

Then, in 2017, my wife said, “I suppose Andrew is going, too?”  Andrew is my son.

I think what I’m trying to say is I think I got a little better bit better each time and she knew I was happier for it.

This year’s race was a priceless journey and one we will remember when I’m two feet from the grave!

My son and I did every off-watch schedule together for the 12 days 19 hours! And, now he is off to college in 2 weeks. He was driving the boat in 20-plus kts with the 110 square meter kite up!

4 hours on 4 hours off during the day, and 3 hours on and 3 hours off at night. I was particularly impressed on him getting out of his bunk with 15 min to go every time to get ready to go on deck!!  Amazing, not bad for a teenager!” Add to Flipboard Magazine.