Wednesday, September 1, 2010

J/29 Super Duck- Rives Allen

We got a wonderful note from Rives Allen, to "Just say Thanks"!  Said Rives, "Hello Johnstone family, I'm from Panama City, FL. I just wanted to say thank you for building the finest boats in the world. I have been sailing J-Boats all of my life, and would have it no other way. I am the proud owner of a J/29 masthead/ outboard called SUPER DUCK for the last 6 years. She was damaged in 1995 by Hurricane Opal. She was totaled, in fact.  A good friend of my dad, Edsel (Duck) Davis rebuilt her and she is still hard to beat. I wanted to ask about the outboard chain plates and the non-overlapping headsail on the newer models. On the Gulf Coast winds are light to moderate, and the extra horsepower is helpful. I guess in someways I'm still a little old school. Thanks again for taking a "monster garage" boat (the J/24) to the top."