Tuesday, July 31, 2007

J/100 Goes Transpac: Double-handed

California J/100 owner Tim Fuller and crew/navigator Erik Shampain completed the recent 2007 Transpac in just over fifteen days, finishing fourth in both class and the double-handed division. Afterward J/Boats asked Tim a few questions about his trip.

J/Boats: Congratulations on sailing to Hawaii on a 33 foot boat! What made you decide to do the Transpac in a daysailer?

Tim Fuller: "The J/100 is very easy to sail, which is one of the reasons I originally got it. I walked away from top tier ocean racing in the early 90's to concentrate on work and family. I have a six and a nine year old and I wanted to teach them to sail, so I bought the 100. Then I couldn't help myself so I got a PHRF rating. I've done well locally in 24 hour double-handed races, so 2200 miles wasn't really that much of a stretch. And seaworthiness was never a concern." …complete interview here.