Last year with only eighteen teams participating, the fleet of six J/70s could accommodate everyone on a rotating basis. And, it was a resounding success everywhere the Bundesliga hosted an event, the local sailors and club members came out in droves to watch the fun racing taking place near shore.
Due to the overwhelming requests to participate in the 2014 edition of the Segel-Bundesliga, the format has been expanded to accommodate sixty-three teams! As a result, the fleet has also expanded to include the original fleet of six J/70s plus J/80s where there are local fleets. The first three events this year are acting as “qualifiers” for the final five events- ending with the “championship” round again on Hamburg’s gorgeous Alster Lake in the middle of city.
The event is an enormous undertaking. “Everything is going to plan. We hope the wind and weather forecast are favorable and we expect to get all the scheduled races to the finish," said Claus-Otto Hansen of the host Flensburg SC. Adding, “the boats are ready to sail. We are well prepared and looking forward to the play-offs." The plan is for 252 sailors from all over Germany to sail 90 races over the weekend!
The regatta schedule for this year’s Segel-Bundesliga is the following:
- 04.04. 06.04. Glücksburg / Flensburger Förde
- 16.05. 18.05. Starnberg / Starnberger See
- 23.05. 25.05. Tutzing / Starnberger See
- 19.07. 21.07. Travemünde / Lübecker Bucht
- 22.08. 24.08. Berlin / Wannsee
- 05.09. 07.09. Kiel / Innenförde
- 26.09. 28.09. Friedrichshafen / Bodensee
- 31.10. 02.11. Hamburg / Außenalster