Wednesday, June 2, 2010

J/160 JAM Sailing in Swiftsure Race- Early Report

J/160 JAM sailing Swiftsure Race offshoreDavid Schmidt, a yachting journalist in the Pacific Northwest was recently asked to sail on the J/160 JAM in the Swiftsure Race.  Here's an early report of that experience:  “Hey David, do you want to drive?” I glance up from a sodden perch on the rail of JAM, John McPhail’s well-rigged and well-sailed J/160, as we pound into stiff westerly winds and square waves six to eight-feet (did I mention square?) about two hours into the start of the 2010 Swiftsure International Yacht Race. This is only my second race aboard JAM, my first of any distance or importance, and I practically jump for the wheel.  At the helm, I see that this is sink or swim: The seas are a cross-hatched mess of wind-against-tide, punctuated by tidal rips and boiling, evil-looking upwellings that threaten to destroy boat speed. It’s impossible to predict wave patterns, if there are any patterns at all in this mess, so I simply drive for speed, doing my damndest to keep from plunging the bow, doing my damndest to keep from falling off the backside of a wave. The boat feels balanced, powerful, under a number three blade and a single deep reef in the big main.  Balanced . . Powerful . . Controlled is a different story."   Read more about David's J/160 Swiftsure sailing experience on Kimball Livington's most excellent blog